Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Common Sense - the wisdom of the crowd

I wrote a posting on the Scottish enlightenment at the end of last year. One of the three central characters in the movement was Thomas Reid, of The University of Aberdeen. He brought to the philosophy table, COMMON SENSE.

One of the main themes, (meme's I think they call them around here, silicon valley) is the WISDOM OF THE CROWD, some comment that all start ups have a play on this concept. In my view, if they are not then trouble could be coming ahead for their ventures.

But what I had not really connected in my thinking was that COMMON SENSE and the WISDOM OF THE CROWD are from the same school of thought. So, if we are looking for or indeed need a 12 centuary set of intellectual conepts of thinking to give a frame work for the evolution of society then, the Wisdom of the Crowd is the new application of common sense that will take us forward.

No comments: